Bedtime routine and quality sleep is a struggle for many households. Kids find excuses to stay up. Adults are still working to tidy up the house or scrolling through FaceBook and Pinterest to see what is the latest. WARNING SIGN: struggles the next day.
Sleep is one of the most overlooked items in our life that will keep us healthy and happy. I can attest that lack of good sleep has health effects. Staying up too late, waking in the middle of the night, “working” instead of sleeping…they all are deterrents to blissful sleep.
We all know feeling drowsy, being irritable, and slow response time are common effects of sleep deprivation. But what about the ones we don’t think of? How about the slow weight gain, deterioration of cardio health, reduced sex drive, and liver metabolism as slow as a snail? Do you see the pattern? Slowly you become the lump on the log with no return unless you make some changes.
Here are some of our go-to tips for a better night’s rest:
- Find YOUR number of needed sleep hours every night as this is different for everyone.
- Make sure to not work in the evenings so you have some down time.
- Reduce or eliminate phone and screen time in the evenings. Cards anyone?
- Reduce alcohol consumption. The immediate effects make you drowsy but are actually sleep disruptors.
- Sip some tea. A bedtime tea may just be what you need to help calm and relax you.
- Spend time with the ones you love. There is nothing more rewarding than having a conversation with your child or spouse and cuddles on the couch.
Being well rested provides you the opportunity to be the best mother, wife and business owner that you can be. You will be able to give over 100% each and every time.
Now turn off the screen and get to bed!
Contributed by Jessica Clemens